Sunday, July 27, 2014

Fourth of July DIY Burlap Wreath

Happy Fourth of July!
I love our festive 'lizard' that resides near our doorbell.

Ok, I know its way past the Fourth of July, but I wanted to make sure I completed this wreath so it would be ready. I tend to put things off and then only half complete them.

I have a love/hate relationship with this whole burlap trend and working with the material did not help matters. I do love the outcome however, so the jury is still out.

Welcome! Out entry way after a haboob!

I created the wreath after spying some cool ribbon at Walmart and being inspired by all the DIY wreaths out there. I spent about $20 on this wreath. I should have waited for the ribbon to go on sale, but alas, I did not. I did, however, use a killer coupon for the wire frame.

I googled 'DIY burlap wreath' until I found a tutorial I liked the best. My biggest concern was fullness so I went with the tutorial that I felt best addressed that concern paired with ease of project.

I referred to the DIY burlap wreath tutorial from Stone Gable Blog while working on my own. (http://www.stonegableblog.com/2013/10/burlap-wreath-tutorial.html)

I used:
16 in wire wreath frame
4 rolls of burlap ribbon (4in x 10 ft) (1 blue, 3 red chevron)
hot glue gun
black wire
scissors

Here is the ribbon I used. Again, it was from Walmart.




I started my creation the way the blog indicated. Here is it after the blue section was mostly complete. I used the blue ribbon for two sections of the wreath and the red chevron for the remaining ones. (Section = the space between the perpendicular wire that connections the wreath rings together)



After it was complete, I hot glued the loose ribbon ends and tied them with wire to pieces of the frame.

Same wreath, interior door.

I am still going to fluff it out a bit more. I have not decided if I want to add any other embellishment, like a last name initial. I think simple works here. I am very excited about the project and even more excited that I had bought more of the same ribbon and can now make a wreath for my sister! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment