Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Doll Clothes: American Girl Beforever Inspiration

Ok, so my daughter has an American Girl doll and I must admit I am glad that she does. It's fun! She loves to play with it and dress it. In addition, we make crafts together for the doll--more on that later. I also spend some time making clothes for the doll. My sewing capabilities are pretty basic but I enjoy it and doll clothes are pretty gratifying. Lucky for me, my daughter just loves anything I make---ahhh, youth!

Anyways why I am mentioning this is because American Girl is revamping it's historical line and with it the characters are getting new 'Meet' dresses. (The dresses that they arrive in.) Here is an image of the rumored new 'Meet' dress for Kit.

rumored: Kit's new 'Meet' dress


I have had this image in my head and I know that there is some debate about its historical accuracy and whatnot. This is not what I am here to talk about, but I am here to talk about this...

I found this fabulous fabric at Joann's and it reminded of this new dress, or more precisely it reminded me of what my mind's eye sees when I think of this new dress. (I don't really hold a solid opinion about the new one, but I do prefer teal over aqua.) In fact, when I brought it to the cutting counter the employee even commented on its vintage vibe. It is so pretty in person.

Keepsake Calico Fabric- Tossed Flowers Red & Teal


http://www.joann.com/keepsake-calico-fabric--tossed-flowers-red-teal/13068671.html


So, inspired by this new fabric I took a peek at patterns and LOOK!!!! this Simplicity pattern 1443 (dress A) looks pretty much the same a the new dress.

Pattern description in Simplicity catalog

rumored new book cover (L) and close-up of Dress A Simplicity pattern 1443 (R)



I am pretty sure I can figure out how to create an inspired outfit! I am excited to give it a whirl. I will report back! Fun stuff!






No comments:

Post a Comment